Thursday, May 04, 2006

Deep thoughts of Shelby

Today I had a rough day. I am just bummed about going back to work. Im not bummed because i dont want to work, Im bummed because i will miss shelby all day long. I actually enjoy my job and my friends at work very much, but i also enjoy my shelb too. In all honesty, i have to work. Not much of a choice, this is the life that I have chosen and I love working and using my college education for something. I will be with shelb every week on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and also every night after work. I dont feel guilty about having to put her in daycare, i feel that it will be a good social experience for her. I recenly went and checked out the daycare that shelb will be going to. Its right down the street from my house and the lady that runs it is SUPER nice and very good with babies. I felt very good about it when i went to visit. SO my question is this: why do people feel the need to express thier very strong opinions about child care to me when clearly i have a different opinion? I dont try and force my opinion on them, nor would i ever make someone feel like a bad parent for having to go to work to provide for thier children. What about single parents? Are they bad parents because they have to put thier kids in daycare? I think not. I just wish that people would keep thier rude opinions to themselves and do the most sensitive thing - put themselves in my shoes. Yes, I love shelby more than anything. Yes, I value our time together. Yes, I want her to have a good and meaningful life. Yes, I want her to have a good relationship with me and her family. No, I dont think that putting Shelby in daycare is "letting someone else raise my child". Shelby will grow up to love me as her mother because that is exactly what I am, I care about her more than anything and being a working mom just means that the time I get to spend with her will mean everything to me and i will make it the best i possibly can.

3 comments:

BHodges said...

I guess the only thing to do is make it perfectly clear with those kinds of people that you must agree to disagree. There is nothing wrong with calmly thanking them for their viewpoint and telling them that you disagree. Make it clear that you have made the decision for yourself, for your life, and while you appreciate their concern, it doesn't need to be discussed again. Just do it real nice-like.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing you back at work, and I'm glad to know that you found a great daycare for Shelby. Your right, she will be in good hands because you have "gone with that gut feeling". See you back in the office next week. -- Carol --

Anonymous said...

Gooooo Jack,
I raised 4 awesome kids and worked too. It makes all the difference in the kind of time spent, not the amount. Love you all tons!!!!
Aunt Shirl