Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day Tribute to Daddy


Memorial Day has historically been a bad day for me. This year was a little different because my family has changed so much. My little Shelby is now over 2 and her big blue eyes remind me of him everyday. She carries his picture around the house and seems to know what I am talking about when I say his name. Its amazing how close children are to the spirit world. We visited the cemetary like we do every year and took pictures, they will be posted as soon as I pull them off my camera. This year Memorial Day brought a new perspective to my life. I realized that I needed to step back and look at "the big picture", meaning that I needed to think of every day as if it were my last. The song that best describes how I felt is Tim McGraw's "Live like you were dying". I also heard Reba's "The greatest man I never knew" and this brought me to tears thinking of how my dad worked up until the day he died. Oh how I wish I could have one more day on this earth with him, but since that is not possible I have started to make an effort to mend my relationships so that in the event that I leave early, things will be in order. Once someone you dearly love in your life dies you gain a new perspective as to what is most important in life, it has taken me 10 years and I continue to learn every day. My anger at him for leaving has changed to a feeling of happiness that he does not have to be a part of this evil world that continues to get worse and worse. I read a scripture the other day that stated something to the effect that the spirits of the spirit world are around us, they feel our pain, they feel our sadness and see our mistakes and they wait and hope for us to be happy. I know this is true, I have felt my dad although I have never seen him as a spirit. Knowing that he is with me, along with others I have lost along the way, brings peace to me. Give those you love a hug and tell them how much they mean to you, they may be gone tomorrow and you will have lost your chance in this life. - Jackie

4 comments:

...April* said...

Okay WHOA. I am suddenly all emotional. I loved your Memorial Day post. Your dad was such a great man, and I love that you have allowed yourself to be open enough to feel him. One of the most vivid memories I have of him was when he was my primary teacher. One time he asked us to describe what we thought life after this would look like. He actually had a draw a picture of it. Then he described the way HE thought it would be. Crazy to think that is where he is at now. He was definitely intune and prepared when he left and now, as you know, he is stil apart of your life and wanting you to be joyful. I am so glad that we have kept in touch. Now we just need to get together! My grandpa passed away on sunday, so we're going to his funeral in Montana this weekend. But next week we are ready to party! :) Let me know if you wanna get together! :)

BHodges said...

Cool post, Jack. I've been collecting some interesting quotes from early Church leaders regarding the spirit world.

For example, Parley P. Pratt said that while you might not see dead people, dead people might see you:

No, they never cease. They live move, think, act, converse, feel, love, hate, believe, doubt, hope, and desire…[they] are in every way interested, in our relationships, kindred ties, sympathies, affections, and hopes, as if we had continued to live, but had stepped aside, and were experiencing the loneliness of absence for a season (JD 1:6).

Brigham Young talked about the Spirit World being very near:

Here the inquiry will naturally arise, when our spirits leave our bodies where do they go to?

I will tell you. Will I locate them? Yes, if you wish me to. They do not pass out of the organization of this earth on which we live.

You read in the Bible [more accurately, the Book of Mormon] that when the spirit leaves the body it goes to God who gave it. Now tell me where God is not, if you please; you cannot. (JD 3:367-368


I've done several blog posts on this stuff, see what you think:

http://tinyurl.com/4l8c65

http://tinyurl.com/3wjgku

http://tinyurl.com/4ekhje

http://tinyurl.com/3ovrq9

BHodges said...

Just copy/paste the url into your address bar.

PS- we need to have a Rock Star party very soon!

NHS Class of 1999 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.